March 17, 2020
As most of you may already know, we are a homeschooling family. Our oldest daughter has been homeschooling for three years. So when our area’s schools started to close due to the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) I wasn’t too worried. After all, we’ve been doing this for years. But the massive influx of children being required to stay home opened the opportunity for organizations to release homeschooling materials to the general public for free.
Now is the time for us to jump on this! Since we’re responsible for the education of our children, we are also responsible for purchasing all of the materials and curriculum we use for teaching. Having the opportunity to grab these resources, a lot of them for free or at a hugely discounted rate, is rare!
So, after lots of research and perusing social media I’ve compiled a list of the top 10 homeschooling resources we are using during the COVID-19 school closure and quarantine.
2. Check out @petethecatofficial on IG for some LIVE online storytime. The past two days at noon they’ve offered this on their account. I’m sure there will be more! Just log on and watch the account for announcements.
A post shared by Pete the Cat (@petethecatofficial) on Mar 16, 2020 at 2:00pm PDT
3. To my delight, Tiffany of Homeschool Hideout has compiled a list of 150+ educational shows that are currently streaming on Netflix. You can check out her post here.
4. The Kennedy Center is offering “Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems” episodes for free on YouTube. Mo is their artist-in-residence and there are several episodes already shared on their channel. Just log in to watch, and draw & doodle with Mo!
5. SCHOLASTIC is offering FREE “Learn at Home” opportunities online. They have “day by day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing”. Subjects for grades PreK-12 are explored through science and history projects.
6. Edmentum has released worksheet practice pages in various subjects that can easily be printed and worked through. My daughter’s grade level (2nd grade) has a 47-page workbook pack! That’s a huge amount of work provided to us for FREE, on all subject matter. They’re also providing printable Brain Games for State Capitals, Presidents, Animals, and even ACT/SAT Vocabulary study packs!!
7. The Prodigy website provides us with “engaging, curriculum-aligned math platform loved by over 50 million students, teachers and admins. No cost, ever”. I did a quick search on this website and discovered their main focus is math, for grade levels 1-8. This is definitely one that’s high on our list to use during the quarantine time – and probably even well past the time when this is over and kids return to school.
8. For Art and Art History we LOVE the online tours of museums that are hitting the internet! Especially for museums that we may not ever have the chance to see in person – virus or not. The Louvre is one of those museums! (Although, I would absolutely love to visit this place in person one day.)
9. IXL has a MASSIVE amount of information you could use for students of any age, any skill level, any grade level. They’re even providing access to learn Spanish as a second language.
I hope that this list helps to provide you guys with ways to keep your kiddos entertained and educationally stimulated while they’re stuck at home in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak. All of these resources are fun, educational, and (better yet) SAFE websites that you and your children can use together.
I would love to know if you’ve collected a list of your own, and what’s on it. We’re always looking for resources that we could use throughout the school year that offers our daughter a fun approach to learning. If you’re willing to share with me what you’re using and what you love for your kids, drop a comment below!
OUR free guide
Sign up for our FREE guide to discover the top 8 things you need to do immediately after getting engaged, so you can kickstart your wedding planning.